Fedora - /dev/kmem missing

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Mar 28 15:36:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have noticed that on our FC systems (FC3, 4, 5 and 6), and RHEL4 have
no /dev/kmem. RHEL3 does have /dev/kmem. I also noticed that other
systems, Ubuntu, Solaris, NetBSD, have /dev/kmem. Can anyone tell me why
Fedora/RedHat should no longer provide this device? The man page for
kmem still exists, and does say how to create it. It also explains how
to create /dev/mem and /dev/port, both of which are provided, it is
just /dev/kmem that is missing.

Thanks,

John.