Where did my sound go?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:34:19 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, david walcroft <david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> >> Kam
> >>     My "sytem-config-soundcard" does not work,the software is there but
> >> it does not run.
> >
> > What do you mean by "tt does not run"?  Are you root or using sudo
> > when invoking this program?
> >
> >>   David
> >

> I have got "system-config-soundcar"d going now,but 'updating driver'

In system-config-soundcard->System click "Reload audio driver". Then
click "Apply". It may take a few seconds for your system to respond to
the Apply command. After that go to system-config-soundcard->Sound
Test and click on the Start button ">".

> does nothing and the error '/dev/dsp' is not installed or similar on a
> reboot; "ls -l /dev/dsp" shows nothing.
> My modprobe.conf is
>
>  install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0: &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

By the way, do you have ACPI enabled on your system. My system is so
old that it does not have ACPI capabilities.