Minicom cant get info from /dev/ttyS0 and ttyS1

Gareth Howlett gareth.howlett at pivotalsys.com
Wed Mar 28 22:27:03 UTC 2007

The next few things I'd check... driver and config...
- Is this a default kernel or a custom compile?
- Does it have the serial driver compiled-in?

# uname -a

Will give us kernel name and if it's a FC kernel RPM, this will give you
kernel serial config parameters;

# grep "SERIAL" /boot/config-`uname -r`

I'm guessing you're talking about STD mobo serial ports... in that case,
they are typically 16C550 compatible UARTs which should are usually on
IRQ 3 & 4 @ IO Addresses 2f8/3f8/2e8/etc... all those settings can
usually be set in BIOS... since these work in DOS, let's assume they are
correct and working...  they won't be listed by interrupt, but try
ioports...

# cat /proc/ioports | grep serial

At least we can see if the hardware is "there and functional" (still not
functioning - but the UART can be addressed by the kernel).

You could be getting an IOPort address conflict but that would be pretty
rare and very odd given normal operation and hardware.

The skinny: When "ls /proc/tty/driver" lists "rfcomm" and nothing else,
that implies the 8250/16C550 default serial driver is not loaded for
some reason - could be it didn't detect the UART, IO/IRQ conflicts, etc.
You have functional hardware (as shown by DOS) but getting the hardware
to work with Linux and all the drivers/devices that are enabled/loaded
by the kernel...

Another thought - scan /var/log/messages and the dmesg for any weird
ttyS* or serial driver messages...

I hope something in here provides a lead to work from...

- Gareth