Minicom - data is corrupted between two PC's ??

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 28 23:30:26 UTC 2007

Erik Grootjans wrote:
> [...]
Posters:
Thanks for all the tips on serial comms with minicom.

Once I checked all the above, one computer can start minicom fine, but
the computer {a hp nx6320 notebook} was having:
Device /dev/ttyS0 lock failed: Operation not permitted.

It seems if I attempt to start minicom from a user account, then the
lock file is generated in /var/lock/*tty* , but then has some problem.
su to root and running minicom after this shows identical error.
rm the lock file and running minicom from root is then successful.

However, with a 3-wire crossover between the two PC's at 115200 8n1 just
junk chars were coming up on the other computer in one direction and
nothing in the opposite. After a time (20s), suddenly junk also appeared
on the other computer (not the letters typed but >ascii chars}

I reset to 38400 and 9600. result now is one direction characters come
out normal, and in the other direction I see weird characters:

I'm going to find my DB9F plug with a 2-3 short in it later today to
test each end separately.

It appears that the data rates are mismatched, yet the status text says
9600 8N1 on both machines.
Any hints for resolving this one ?

Thanks, DaveT