Nameserver Problem

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 29 00:44:50 UTC 2007

Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> Read that.  Now for a newbie how do I go from a caching-nameserver to
> regular bind.
>
> The only way I could get yum to install bind was to call for the
> caching-nameserver.

If you were to look closely you'd find out that the caching-nameserver
contains only the following:

/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
/etc/named.rfc1912.zones
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2/Copyright
/usr/share/doc/caching-nameserver-9.3.2/rfc1912.txt
/var/named/localdomain.zone
/var/named/localhost.zone
/var/named/named.broadcast
/var/named/named.ca
/var/named/named.ip6.local
/var/named/named.local
/var/named/named.zero

In other words, the caching-nameserver package contains *only* the
configuration files used to make bind a "caching nameserver".  In still
other words, the only difference between a "caching nameserver" and an
"authoritative nameserver" is the configuration file.

I suspect bind is really installed.

So, go back to the documentation and read the part about setting up the
configuration file.  I believe there is already an example in the doc that
has a sample of a server acting as a "slave" server.

Ed