shutdown via /etc/rc.d/rcN.d/KNN* files

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Mar 29 04:11:46 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Can someone please explain the order of the /etc/rc.d/rcN.d/KNN* files
> execution during shutdown?  First which directory is used for the
> files rc0.d?
>
> I have a few homegrown files that are are all symlinked as
> K01<somethingorother> eg. they all start with "K01" and should be
> executed first.  I only see a single one of the files executed, most
> are skipped.  Does each file need a unique Knn number or is sharing a
> number legal?
>
> The files run fine is I do a "service foo start" or "service foo
> stop".  It is just the automatic shutdown that seems to skip them.
>
> -wolfgang

Part of the process of running K## scripts is that is check to see
if the service is running by looking for the lock file in
/var/lock/subsys with the same name as the file the link points to.
Keep in mind that the K## links are supposed to stop the service,
and the S## links are supposed to start the service.

You may want to read
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysvinitfiles and look at the
/etc/rc.d/rc script.

Mikkel