help me with my font fu please ... [mostly solved]

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Mar 29 06:12:27 UTC 2007

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> Ah, but I don't want Monospace 10, I seem to want Monospace 6.

Mmmhmmm.  And the magic is finding exactly how two ctrl+-'s in
gnome-term change Monospace 10 and what font properties to pass to
urxvt to get the same thing.  I wish I knew the answer (just to
satisfy my curiosity at this point).

> This doco was also (slightly) useful:
>   http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html

Ah, that helps decipher the many options to use.  I didn't know what
was available when I perused the urxvt man page last night.  One
setting that seemed to help make the size and quality match closest
was dpi.  Here is gnome-terminal with Monospace 6:

http://pobox.com/~tmz/gt-monospace6.png

And here is urxvt, one green on black and the other black on white:

http://pobox.com/~tmz/urxvt-monospace6-green-on-black.png
http://pobox.com/~tmz/urxvt-monospace6-black-on-white.png

I got this with 'urxvt -fn xft:Monospace-6:dpi=110'.  Like you said,
it's not as good as the gnome-terminal.  I twiddled various options
relating to the antialiasing, hinting, scaling, etc., but I didn't hit
upon anything that made the fonts match exactly.

> This morning, with coffee and a choc wheaton biscuit in my system, I
> realised that I had ignored urxvt (and rxvt and xterm)'s "bold font"
> setting. Saying:
>
>   urxvt -fn xft:Monospace-6 -fb xft:Monospace-6
>
> gets me this:
>
>   http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/test/urxvt2.png
>
> I think it's better, though on close inspection I'm less sure. it
> may be identical to the gnome-terminal, and what I ended with last
> night.

I couldn't tell any difference with and without the bold option set.

> Thanks. Hope y'all like the sig quote:-)

Sure thing.  I can't say I've ever dreamed of punctuation chasing me,
though I have had dreams of writing scripts - sometimes I've even had
good solutions pop into my dreams.  That might say more about my
coding ability than anything else though. :)

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -- Thomas Paine