Nameserver Problem

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 29 22:31:10 UTC 2007

Tony Nelson wrote:

> Tim -- is this also a solution for my problem?  I have set up a local
> server (on CentOS 4.4) to test a replacement for a real server with a
> domain name (running RH 7.2).  The local server should always resolve that
> domain name to itself, so as to properly test itself and not the real
> server.  Just adding lines to /etc/hosts was insufficient, probably because
> DNS queries (dig, nslookup) still see the real server.  I'm trying to avoid
> really understanding BIND at this time, as I have plenty of other issues to
> deal with, and the new server, when deployed, won't need this testing DNS
> configuration.

If you don't want to understand named and how to configure it then try the
following.

1.  Remove the /etc/resolv.conf
2.  Create a /etc/hosts file that contains all of the information needed and
that includes all of the servers that host may need to contact for testing
purposes.
3.  Edit the /etc/nsswitch and change the "hosts" line to have "files" only.

--
Being frustrated is disagreeable, but the real disasters in life begin
when you get what you want.