Desktop behavior in fc5->fc6 upgrade

Phillip ptho at FIREFLY.NLM.NIH.GOV
Fri Mar 30 15:09:14 UTC 2007

After upgrading from core 5 to core 6 (32-bit), every time I log in, my
gnome desktop is black until I open System->Preferences->Desktop
Background and I run the mouse over the application gui. Changing settings
has the same result.

2. The gnome desktop contains no icons and a right click does not bring up
any options.

3. Switching to kde makes the wallpaper look correct; right clicks bring
up options. However, seleting a konsole window produces a window where the
mouse works on the menu bar but no text can be entered into the window
from the keyboard.

I have checked the local file permissions affecting kde and gnome, but see
nothing amiss.

Any suggestion about what rpms need to be (re)installed or about what
settings have gone awry?

Phillip Thomas