FC6 - openoffice and remote print failures with cups

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Fri Mar 30 21:54:32 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I am having difficulty printing to remote printers using cups from
within openoffice on FC6.  I have FC4 and FC5 systems on the same remote
stations and they work fine.  Also other software on the FC6 machine
like evolution works fine with remote printing. Printing locally (on the
same subnet) on this FC6 machine also works fine.

When trying to print remotely via openoffice on this FC6 machine the
print menu displays all of the local as well as the remote printers.  If
a local printer is picked the print tab button is active.  If a remote
printer is picked the print tab button is inactive which prevents
printing.

abiword can be used to print the document locally or remotely on this
FC6 machine.

I have been waiting for this to be fixed, but have not entered a bug
report.  Thought I would ask here first.

Greg Ennis