repartition active machine

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Sat Mar 31 04:01:36 UTC 2007

Hi all,
   Here is the issue & I am a relative newbie:
    I have a older Linux server with two partitions: /mammdata and
/rgdata.  The latter partition is no longer needed as the storage
requirements exploded and it was all moved to a NAS.  /mammdata is
almost full.  Will this scenario work:

1.  Back up all data on /mammdata (this is a SMB share)
2.  fdisk and delete the partitions /mammdata and /rgdata1
3.  create a new partition to use all the space no longer used by the
two deleted partitions
4.  mkfs.ext3 -jvL pt-data
5.  restore the backed up data from originally on /mammdata

Thanks for you input,

Bob