nVidia or software RAID 5?

Dawning Sky the.dawning.sky at gmail.com
Tue May 22 05:19:40 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm building a new server with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, with comes
with the nVidia MediaShield Raid support.  I'm wondering whether I should
use this function and setup my array in the BIOS, or I should use the Linux
software RAID and build the array directly from the drives.  Please advice.

My setup:  1 300GB SATA drive as the system drive.  4 500GB SATA drives to
build a RAID 5.  I also plan to further partition the RAID 5 array, probably
on top of LVM, to use as /home and some of /var.

Thanks,

DS