ASUS V1J Laptop issues with Fedora 6

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue May 1 06:10:52 UTC 2007

Robert Hart wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've recently moved to an Asus V1J laptop and am having a few issues I'd
> really like a bit of help with (running Fedora 6)
>
>   1. Whilst I can 'see' the 3945 wireless ethernet (I've downloaded and
>      installed the AT RPMs) I can't seem to get the wireless to turn on
>      - and the indicator light that says it's on never lights up.

Look at /proc/acpi/asus/wled.  If you write a "1" to this "file" it'll
turn the LED on.  This is my way of saying:  If the software you're
using knows about this LED, then it should do this automatically when it
make a connection and write a "0" there when it detects the connection
dropping.  If the software you're using is generic enough, it may not
know about this file and may not write to it.  YMMV

AFA getting the wireless to work, I have a similar problem with my
laptop which uses an ASUS motherboard (not sure which one though).  It
doesn't work reliably for me at my home.  I'm still playing with it.  I
may have a number of 2.4GHz devices in my home which are lending to the
problem.  Once again, YMMV.  And my fn-F2 key doesn't do squat (its
supposed to dis/en-able the wireless).

Which packages are you using?  ipw2100?   ipw2200?   ipw3945?  iwlwifi?

Check you log files?  Are you seeing this a lot?

> kernel: ipw3945: Detected geography ABG (11 802.11bg channels, 13 802.11a channels)

I see *lots* of these in my logs when my wireless is *not* working.

>   2. I can't get sound working at all. I briefly had it working on one
>      channel, but that's all.

Which driver do you think you're using?  My laptop uses snd-hda-intel.
It came from my vendor configured and working, though I am having
problems separating the headphones from the speakers.  They are
controlled via different sliders in the volume control.  I think the
default control in the gnome-panel applet controls the headphone volume,
but I usually an using the laptop speakers.  Make sure the channels you
are using are un-muted and the sliders are up.  Does it help to use the
keyboard volume up keys?  fn-F7 and fn-F8?

> Anyone out there with experience that can offer assistance would be
> appreciated

This is my experience.  I hope it helps you out.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net