FC6 Combo drive doesn't work with DVD's

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue May 1 12:49:53 UTC 2007

antonio montagnani wrote:
> I see that also after recent updates in FC6 my combo drive (that is
> detected as QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW242U and device /dev/hdc) works with
> CD/CD-R/CD-RW but when I insert a DVD with data/files nothing happens.
> I suppose that DVD should show up on my dsktop.....on the other hand I
> can play a DVD with Xine even if it is not automatically mounted.
> Any idea???

I've been seeing this for a while:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/217862

also:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/212640

Several people seem to be confirming this, but there's been no movement
on the bug for quite a while.  It seems it may only be a subset of
drives which suffer (but I've got 2 different models here, both CD and
DVD which fail).

The (semi) good news is that it's only the automount which fails.  You
can manually mount any of these disks and work with them that way.

Simon.