Home Lan with D-Link DI-604

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 1 15:37:45 UTC 2007

Carlos Alberto Alves wrote:

> Hi Mikkel!
> Your idea seems the best, but the router assigns the same address for
> both machines (I do not know how). I will have to talk to the ISP that
> owns the router and ask them to do it.
> I will let you know their answer.
> TIA,
Let me make sure I understand what you are saying. The router
assigns an IP address to machine A aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, and then also
assigns machine B the sam aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd address? If that is the
case, then the two machines will never be able to talk to each
other. For that matter, your should be running into other network
problems.

Lets double check this. On the two machines, run:

/sbin/ifconfig

The "inet addr:" for lo should be 127.0.0.1 on both machines, but
should be different for eth0 (or what ever your interface to the
router is.) If they are the same, then take a look at
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. Make sure it is not set
up for a static IP address. It may have more or less lines, but it
should look something like this: (HWADDR and DHCP_HOSTNAME for your
system or missing.)

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:02:A5:F4:91:5E