Launching the Gimp in English

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue May 1 18:07:07 UTC 2007

Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > The Hebrew translation of the Gimp is very difficult to use because
>> > some items were reversed for Right-to-Left, but the places to click
>> > were not. Therefore, I'd like to use the gimp in English while keeping
>> > my locale Hebrew. I created a bash script in ~/bin called gimp and
>> > added it to my path:
>> > [dotancohen at localhost bin]$ pwd
>> > /home/dotancohen/bin
>> > [dotancohen at localhost bin]$ ls -l
>> > --snip--
>> > -rwxrwxr-- 1 dotancohen dotancohen       32 אפר 22 10:44 gimp
>> > [dotancohen at localhost bin]$ cat gimp
>> > #!/bin/bash
>> > export LANG=C
>> > gimp
>> >
>> > [dotancohen at localhost bin]$ cat ~/.bash_profile
>> > --snip--
>> > PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
>> >
>> > export PATH
>> > [dotancohen at localhost bin]$
>> >
>> > However, when I right-click a file and "Open with Gimp" it does not
>> > open. What did I do wrong? Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Dotan Cohen
>> >
>> > http://lyricslist.com/
>> > http://what-is-what.com/
>> >

> The script calls itself, recursively.  Instead, change the call to gimp
> in the script to use an absolute path name /usr/bin/gimp, and while
> you're at it, also pass any command line arguments on.  So the line becomes:
>
> /usr/bin/gimp "$@"
I doubt if that's the problem or the command would never complete. It
would just continue to recursively call itself until the system crashed.
If I recall correctly, the applications accessed by "Open with" are
specified by a full path. So "Open with" will always use /usr/bin/gimp
unless a new association is added. Another possibility is ~/bin is just
not in the PATH prior to /usr/bin.

Either way, adding the command line argument passed in by "Open with" is
correct. Otherwise you just end up with a copy of the gimp running but
it doesn't know which file to open.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce