Different Keyboard Layout for Different Apps

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 2 00:05:36 UTC 2007

I have some apps I like to use from time to time for which
I would like to use slightly different keyboard maps.

For example, from time to time I play Larn. I like to use the
numeric keypad as a directional movement control. But Larn is
natively set up to use the "yujklhnm" movement type keys. So,
in order to remap that, I use a little script which actually
runs the program, and which uses xmodmap to set up the mapping,
runs the actual program, then sets things back.

The main drawback with doing this is that it changes the keymap
for everything running at the time, which is not desirable.

So, either I'm ignorant of a better way, or I'll have to live with
what I've got, or I'll have to fiddle the source to Larn somewhat.

Can anyone give me advice on how to use different key maps for
different apps running concurrently without interfering with
each other?

Thanks for your time.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.