udev causing "Cannot Display the Video Mode" on flat panel

Edward DeMeulle ed at demeulle.org
Wed May 2 01:18:26 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07 10:17, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Edward DeMeulle wrote:
>
>> After fresh installing Fedora 6 just after udev starts the screen goes
>> blank and displays the above message. Neither setting runlevel 3 in GRUB
>> nor Ctrl-Alt-F1,F2, etc. restore the screen. I do have ssh access and
>> can even do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and blindly login. So now what? Apparently udev
>> is either causing the video card to set itself to an unusual mode or
>> it's forcing it to use the DVI port (I'm bringing a cable home to test
>> this, but I want to use VGA for my KVM switch). Video card is an ATI
>> Rage 128. I've read through the udev literature for a bit and am trying
>> to understand it's workings. Does anyone have any tips that might speed
>> up the resolution of this problem?
>>

> First off, it is probably not udev causing the problem. A quick test
> would be to boot without rhgb in the boot line. This will keep
> things in the text mood on boot, instead of the pretty graphical
> boot display. When you edit the grub line to remove "rhgb", you may
> also want to put a 3 at the end so you boot in the text mode. Then
> try configuring X again.
>
> Mikkel

I tried what you suggested. However, the video mode is still getting
messed up and causing the above message from the flat panel right after
the "Starting udev" message. Following is the grub entry being used:

title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2798.fc6) Text
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 3
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed at demeulle.org>