VMWare will not start, even after vmware-config.pl

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed May 2 17:27:08 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 20:47 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> > On 5/1/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Just today I have been unable to start my VMWare Workstation 1.0.2.
> >
> > If 1.0.2 is the correct version then your copy of VMWAre Workstation
> > is totally out of date. The current version of Workstation is 5.5.4.
> > Perhaps you have VMWare Player or VMWare Server. Newer versions of
> > both products have updates available for downloading from VMWare.
> >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > What should I start troubeshooting?
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> >

> FYI 1.0.3 is the latest version.
> Indeed VMWare (server, workstation) seems to be unstable on kernel >=
> 2.6.19.

I have not noticed any stability problems using Workstation 5.5.4.
There is a networking (vmxnet.c) problem for Linux clients using
kernel >= 2.6.19. The patch can be found by browsing the VMware Forums
or using Google Search.

BTW, the release candidate of VMware Workstation 6 is available for
downloading (registration required, free otherwise).