problem with 1680x1050 resolution

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Wed May 2 21:15:44 UTC 2007

oleksandr korneta <atenrok at gmail.com> writes:

> on 04/29/2007 06:02 PM Phil wrote:
> > Thanks for your help.. however I have had too many problems with Fedora
> > recently for fundamentally easy things and Ubuntu was no better... I know
> > there are fixes for these issues but I just do not have the time to spend
> > two days trying to get my 22" monitor to work...when in Windows it works in
> > about 15 seconds... I will keep using Fedora however it will be in a VM
> > machine under windows for now...
>
> when I bought my E207WFP it took me the same 15 seconds to run
> nvidia-settings and make it autodetect ...

I recently set up a whole bunch of computers with E207WFP displays,
most using onboard graphics with the Intel 965 chipset.

I had to use OpenSuse for the more recent (pre)release of Xorg,
including an "i810beta" driver.  OpenSuse handled all components
well, except for the front sound connections.

I couldn't get Fedora 6 to work with the graphics.

On a couple of similar computers with Nvidia graphics cards, the
monitors were handled fine.  However, Fedora 6 needed lots of kernel
parameters to handle optical drives ans such.  (One is still running
F6.)  Some of these issues are long-standing and they are a black
mark on Fedora.

The Windows Vista installations didn't handle the graphics either;
they needed driver updates from the Intel website to handle the
displays.  The second Vista install didn't work even with a download
(slightly different driver version).  It was only a few days ago that
I got a yet-newer driver and the display resolution got straightened
out.  So Windows has trouble too.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca