A question for the special (multimedia) keys on a laptop

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:40:44 UTC 2007

On Thursday 2007-05-03 05:04:25 Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
> >   I use custom script to enable the multimedia keys on my laptop.
> > Is there a proper/better way to get these working? Should I fill a
> > bug report for that?
> >
> >   On my (not so) new laptop, Acer Aspire 5610, some of them do
> > not generate key codes at all (eMail, Internet, ...). Is there a way
> > to get them working?
>
> When I acquired my Acer Aspire 5004, I had the same problem I eventually
> got most of them to work by setting keyboard shortcuts under "Menu >
> System > Preferences". I documented it in an installation report (link
> below).
>
> http://db.glug-bom.org/wiki/index.php/Laptop_Installation_Report_-_Acer_Aspire_5004

  There's no way to assign a key that does not generate a key code
and that's the situation with my email key for example. The Fn+? are
OK. In KDE I don't have to assign shortcuts, I just add:
--- cut ---
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
--- cut ---
in /etc/X11/Xmodmap and they work. The extra euro and dollar sign
require (the kernel complains about these):
/usr/bin/setkeycodes e033 132
/usr/bin/setkeycodes e034 133
+ (in Xmodmap again)
keycode 248 = dollar
keycode 140 = EuroSign

You, me, some other users can do this, but what about the rest?
That's why I asked is there a proper/better way. (btw: with my old
laptop all keys were working this way)

--
Regards,
  Doncho