how to get dhclient to reconfigure link?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu May 3 10:41:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:46:06 -0400
Joe Smith <jes at martnet.com> wrote:

> I had to unplug my network connection (FC5; single PC-cable modem) for a
> couple of hours today, and when I plugged it back in, the kernel
> recognized that the link was up again, but the dhcp client did not
> reconfigure the link. I tried ifconfig eth0 down/up--no change. I
> finally just killed and re-started dhclient, which worked but seems
> pretty clunky. What's the recommended solution?

Either

	ifdown eth0
	ifup eth0

(which will restart negotiation etc), waiting (which should eventually
get around to retrying), or run the GUI network config tool and take the
iface down/up.

If you want automated control then in dhclient.conf set the "retry"
timeout appropriately (see man 5 dhclient.conf)