really REALLY slow computer

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 3 13:50:46 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak" <mjc at avtechpulse.com>
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:06 am
Subject: Re: really REALLY slow computer
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>

> and then
> 2.6.21 kernel
> OK when
> AAAAGGGGHHHH!>>>
> >> Is there anything in the logs about timeouts during boot?
> >> /var/log/dmesg may have some clues...
> >
> > Nothing about timeouts. Here are a few things from dmesg that
> might be
> > of interest.
>

> Make sure you have the latest BIOS available for the DC7700 (we
> are
> talking about a DC7700, right)?

Yes we are talking about a dc7700p and it a brand new machine so I
would hope it has a very recent BIOS if not the latest but I will
check anyhow.

> Also, I boot my DC7700 with the "pci=noacpi acpi=off" kernel
> parameters.

I've already tried booting with the acpi=off kernel parameter but
tomorrow I will try with the pci=noacpi option. I am also going to try
the hda=noprobe (actually in my case I think it should be
sdb=noprobe?) I have also seen sugestion to try pci=conf1 and I might
try the pae kernel but I think that only makes a difference if you
have > 2G of RAM and I have 2G.

Steve