A question for the special (multimedia) keys on a laptop

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:11:53 UTC 2007

Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
>   There's no way to assign a key that does not generate a key code
> and that's the situation with my email key for example. The Fn+? are
> OK. In KDE I don't have to assign shortcuts, I just add:
> --- cut ---
> keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
> keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
> keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
> --- cut ---
> in /etc/X11/Xmodmap and they work. The extra euro and dollar sign
> require (the kernel complains about these):
> /usr/bin/setkeycodes e033 132
> /usr/bin/setkeycodes e034 133
> + (in Xmodmap again)
> keycode 248 = dollar
> keycode 140 = EuroSign
>
> You, me, some other users can do this, but what about the rest?
> That's why I asked is there a proper/better way. (btw: with my old
> laptop all keys were working this way)

The only keys that don't respond with a keycode are the multmedia keys,
which I have not been able to get to work. Hopefully someone with more
grey cells will figure out how to make the non responsive keys work.

Fortunately for me, everything else that I require, screen brightness,
volume, etc, works the way I want it to.

--
Regards
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218