Web server

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat May 5 16:16:12 UTC 2007

Scott van Looy wrote:
> Today Zahn Daltocli did spake thusly:
>
>> I'd use XHTML 1.1 personally. HTML is outdated. HTML4.01 has been
>> around for YEARS (Nearly a decade) with no signs of HTML5 being
>> released (they say it will, but looks very doubtful).
>>
>> XHTML is more interesting to play with, is up-to-date and allows more
>> functionality.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/
>
> Doesn't. XHTML 1 is simply HTML 4 rendered as XML - 1.1 doesn't have
> much in the way of new features. When 2 is released it'll be amazing...

CSS makes more sense alongside XHTML.  Which raises a point,
to make a decent modern site you really need an idea of CSS
too.  And possibly PHP.  And maybe SQL, and one of Ruby or
Python.  Or maybe just use WordPress, Plone or Drupal.

All depends what you want to do really, which raises the
question: what is the OP trying to do?  Will they be hosting
the site on their own machine or with a web host?  What stage
of the process are they at at the moment?

If they just want something to write html with for a few
static pages there's Nvu (though you can probably use it
when building dynamic content too).  Actually, the Nvu help
<http://nvu.com/websitehelp.php> gives an overview of the
common steps in putting up a few pages.