My system got crashed!!! Help me out please

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 02:51:04 UTC 2007

On 5/5/07, suman rapolu <suman.neo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Today when i tried to upgrade some packages using "Synaptic" package
> manager, the window didn't minimized and suddenly not responded. From then
> no GUI application(either Gnome or KDE) is getting opened, and giving errors
> like "X server is not running". Then i first logged-off from my current user
> account. After logging-off it gave me message like "X server is not running
> and after correcting errors start the "GDM" server".
>
>       Then i rebooted my system hoping the X server may get initialized at
> boot time, so that the problem may disappear. But at booting time it gave
> "filesystem is corrupted" and is not booting now. I am using Fedora 5 (linux
> 2.6.15 kernel). I tried to get a copy of "syslog" messages but the
> filesystem is corrupted.
>
> Can anybody help me please, i have some important data init.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Suman.

Run in text mode so that you can force the system to check the file system.

1. At the grub boot menu type the letter "a"
    This will bring up a second grub screen for you to append options
to the kernel
    command line.
2. Type a space and the number three, i.e. " 3"
    This data tell the kernel to boot to runlevel 3 (text mode, X will
not be started).
3. Press the Enter key.
    You should be presented with a login prompt upon completion of boot.
4. Log in as root.
5. Type the following:

    touch /forcefsck
    reboot

The system will reboot and perform a file system check.

Note: After the file system has been checked X may still not work. At
this point you need to  perform a check of installed packages using
rpm.