Web Server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 6 05:25:39 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 15:15 -0700, Richard England wrote:
> I generally use the Mozilla HTML editor to rough out a page and then
> use vim (vi).  Have you looked at NVU?   How do you think it compares
> with the other HTML editors that you mentioned.

I've not tried it for ages.  I didn't like either of them, back then,
but things may have improved.

In general, I rarely use HTML editors, I usually use gvim.  I've yet to
come across one that does the job properly *and* easily.  You get fewer
nasty surprises when you don't use an editor.

One thing I do use is HTML tidy.  I can rough out a page in vi, where
I've done little more than write in a title, headings, and paragraphs,
and get it to neaten all that up into something that's proper.

I stuck to vi because it's on just about everything, and works in GUI or
text environments.  Generally, if I try to fire it up when I don't have
X available (e.g. I've ssh'd to a box, and didn't do anything about X),
I'll get the text-only version, without having to re-issue any commands.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.