Cannot choose Beryl as the windows manager

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun May 6 12:44:53 UTC 2007

On 06/05/07, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 6.
> toukokuuta 2007):
>
> > A) In order to run Beryl and other 3D programs I must enable
> > 3D on my Radeon X1400 graphics card. That means that I must
> > choose a driver which can enable it. The possible drivers are:
> > 1) Vesa. This is the standard Fedora driver, and has no 3D.
> > 2) Mesa. Not sure if it has 3D or where it comes from.
>
> Mesa isn't a driver, it's an OpenGL-compatible 3D-graphics
> library.
>
> > 3) Radeon. Also called FGLRX.
>
> No, those are two different drivers. "radeon" is an open-source
> driver that's included with Fedora, fglrx is a proprietary
> driver available from ATI or third-party repositories.
>
> > B) There are different graphics environments, call X servers:
> > Xorg, XGL and X11.
>
> X11 is the specification of the graphics environment, X.org and
> XGL are implementations of the X11 specification.

Thanks. So, I need to replace:
1) Vesa/Radeon in xorg.cong to fglrx. This is simply done with VI.
2) Xorg with XGL. This is done by installing XGL via yum.

Is this correct? I don't want to experiment anymore with this working
system as I sometimes make mistakes and it's difficult for me to
correct them in init3 with only lynx!

Dotan Cohen

http://gmail-com.com/howto/filters.php
http://googlpedia.org