A question for the special (multimedia) keys on a laptop

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 7 04:58:50 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> I found that XMMS could use some multimedia keyboard keys, when not
>> setup for X to make use of them.

Doncho N. Gunchev:
> XMMS can't access keys that the kernel can not.

The kernel perhaps, but X is a different matter.  Applications can pay
attention to assigned (in X) keys.

> If 'showkey -s' shows nothing when you press the key... forget it.

In my case, I'm fairly sure that I did get scan codes for the keys.
Even though they were unrecognised ones (it was up to me to associate
them with a standard key title).

If you don't get any sort of reaction, then it looks like you need some
sort of hardware driver for those special keys.  Laptops take the cake
for being custom built devices.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.