Want to read the cp1251-tags mp3 content

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 7 06:04:23 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 18:50 +0700, Strong wrote:
> That's how I try to do that:
>
> LANG=ru_RU.CP1251 mplayer *.mp3
>
> Yet I see "????" instead of the Russian letters. How to fix it?
>
> FC6, utf8 locale.

You're doing the "LANG=" thing with mplayer *because* the files are
already written using RU.CP1251 ID tags and your system local is UTF8?

mplayer has a "-msgcharset" parameter which sounds like it might be what
you want (see the mplayer man file).  Though the default is listed to be
autodetect.  Another possibility is its MPLAYER_CHARSET environment
variable (also in the man file).  If they do the trick, you should be
able to customise the mplayer config file to use those options by
default.

You might want to try re-writing the ID3 tags, there's a chance that
you're not setting them correctly, because they're not written in the
MP3 file correctly (i.e. they don't declare their language details
right).  Perhaps useful info at:  <http://www.id3.org/>

I don't have any foreign language MP3 files to test against.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.