Cannot choose Beryl as the windows manager

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:57:00 UTC 2007

On 06/05/07, Hikaru Amano <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Setting up XGL in fedora is very easy nowadays ,
>
> just run these commands
>
> 1. enable livna repository, then

Done.

> 2. yum install livna-config-display kmod-fglrx

Done.

> 3. get XGL packages from damaestro's page, and install them

It wants Xgl-settings, which I can only find as an rpm for OpenSuse.
Is this alright?

> 4. livna-config-display --auto-xgl --tui --active
>
> 5. just to be sure, open system-config-display and check whether fglrx
> is selected or not

Can I just chect xorg.conf in VI? I prefer to work with the config
files directly.

> 6. reboot
>
> 7. before login, make sure u select GNOME with XGL or KDE with XGL

> 9. try running beryl
>
> note: I experienced problem with Xen kernel, so make sure you dont use
> that kernel for fglrx ..
>
> Fedora have grown to be a very easy distro (compared to the times I
> started with it, which was FC3) , its time for us to start promoting
> the easy parts of Fedora ..
>
> btw ... VMware doesnt support 3D hardware acceleration for graphics
> (not yet, but its coming soon) ... vmware virtual graphic card is not
> equal to your physical graphic card..

My references to VMWare were not related to the 3D abilities. VMWare
Server does not run at all on kernel 2.20. That's a big problem for me
at the moment.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/howto/firefox_password_manager.php
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/40/arlen_harold.html