mkinitrd not honoring lpfc options in modprobe.conf

Tony.Cetera at thomson.com Tony.Cetera at thomson.com
Mon May 7 14:21:02 UTC 2007

I think I've found the answer to this one.

Point-to-point topology is not the default for the lpfc driver,
therefore, the option must be specified in a driver config file or
modprobe.conf if you are not connecting to a fabric.  And, if you want
the file system on the array to mount at boot, you need the initrd image
to correctly load the HBA driver so you can see the disk.  Problem is,
the HBA driver loads before "/" is mounted so initrd can't get options
from /etc/modprobe.conf (it's not there yet).  The system then fails to
mount file systems on disk that initrd incorrectly loaded the HBA driver
for.

Bottom line, I got the driver option into initrd by changing
modprobe.conf and then rebuilding a new initrd image.

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

and reboot did the trick.

Thank you.

Tony