FC6 install does not recognize the CD/DVD it successfully booted from

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Mon May 7 21:54:07 UTC 2007

Frode Petersen skrev:
> Kam Leo skrev:
>> I would not rely on cable select doing the proper thing. Make sure
>> that the CD/DVD drive is connected to the end of the IDE cable and
>> that the jumper is set to the "master" position.
>>

> I checked and that was the way it was set up.
>
> I guess the most likely reason for my problems is that the drive is
> faulty, so I'll get a new one.
>
> Thank you all for the help along the way towards that conclusion!
>
> Are there any problems with sata dvd burners and linux? (I think there
> might have been when I built this computer 1.5 years ago, which was why
> I bought the ide version.) Specifically, do any of you have any
> experience with the NEC AD-7170S or the Samsung SH-S183A units?
>
> Frode

I found a procedure I want to try before giving up on this. Points
against the dvd-burner failing:
- The media IS bootable.
- Each file on the media is readable and has md5sum matching the same
file in the .iso image on disk.
- Fedora mounts the media

If I buy a new drive and it turns out that it wasn't faulty, it'd be a
waste of money.

The procedure I found comes from an Ubuntu bug report, and can be found
here, (where it is explained):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/24022

Here it is:
Step 1: Startup the installer and go to console 2 directly, before even
selecting a language.
Step 2: Press enter to activate the console.
Step 3: modprobe ide-cd
Step 4: modprobe ide-core
Step 5: modprobe ide-generic
Step 6: hdparm /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

At this point it should tell you "IO_support = 1 (32-bit)"

Step 7: hdparm -d1 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
Step 8: Switch back to console 1
Step 9: Proceed with selection language etc - everything will work now.

At step 2 nothing happens when I press enter. I can switch console
(seemingly?) using Alt-F2, but it does not get activated. In consoles 3
and 4 there are output from the boot process, naming, among other
things, modules that are loaded. Close to the end of one of the lists, 3
modules are loaded: forcedeth, libata and sata_nv, in that order. While
not identical to the bug report, I'd like to have a go at the procedure,
just to see if it makes any difference.

Under FC6, are there extra consoles set up in the install boot image, so
that I can follow the steps above, or is there a defferent way to
achieve the same result?

Frode