RPM and tarballs

Colin J Thomson - G6AVK colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed May 9 09:22:37 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 9:42:58 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Pawel wrote:
> > > Oliver Ruebenacker writes:
> > >  >      Dear friends,
> > >  >
> > >  >   If you install software directly from a tarball, rpm will not be
> > >  > aware of the installation. How can rpm be made aware of it?
> > >  >
> > >  >   Is rpm --rebuilddb supposed to always fix the problem? What if it
> > >  > does not?
> > >  >
> > >  >   Or should I always try to turn the tarball into an rpm file? How
> > >  > to do this?
> > >  >
> > >  >   Thank you!
> > >
> > > Oliver,
> > > first of all use rpm package if available.
> > >  If not, then there is a tool that does rpm from tar ball.
> > >  its name is checkinstall
> > > (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/download.php)
> > >
> > > How to use it:
> > > 1) untar You source code
> > > 2) ./configure ...with options You like....
> > > 3) make
> > > 4) checkinstall #. instead of make install.
> >
> > I have used checkinstall exactly three times, and it has failed
> > for me exactly three times, leaving me with a difficult to clean
> > mess.
> Strange.  I and many others have used it several times, and never had a
> problem with it.  Could it be that we accept defaults, and you change some
> of the options?  If so, I wonder which options are dangerous.

Try adding this when running checkinstall "--fstrans=no" I use checkinstall
quite a lot with no problems with the above command.

from the Changelog:
*1.6.0beta3
* Added a command line option: "--fstrans". It will allow you to enable
  or disable the filesystem translation code. It is enabled by default.

HTH

Colin
--
Fedora Core 6 ("Zod")