How to burn Fedora DVDs to avoid readahead bug?

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Wed May 9 12:52:52 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Andre Robatino wrote:
>
>>   I believe that most mediacheck failures are caused by the readahead
>> bug (although years ago I found that Memorex CDs were so crappy that
>> they would literally sometimes go from pass to fail in about 15 hours
>> after burning).
>>

> Memorex did go through a bqad patch, which I understand was due to the fact
> that they used more than one supplier, of which at least one had
> less-than-adequate quality control.  I don't think there is a problem now.
>

>> I know that some drives (either DVD or CD) are
>> vulnerable and some aren't.
>>

> Not all older drive support burn-free, which could be one factor.

  I haven't seen any clear correlation between age and vulnerability.
Old Samsung SCR-2432 and SCR-3232 CD drives from 8-year old boxes aren't
vulnerable.
> Another thing to consider.  I was told by Lite-On technical support people
> that DVD+R disks are more forgiving than DVD-R.  I have certainly had fewer
> problems on my stand-alone recorder since changing to +R.

  I've seen technical articles (which I don't fully understand)
explaining the many reliability advantages of the plus format over the
minus.  I always use plus.  It's no more expensive anyway.

>> Whether the DVD is RW  or just R may also
>> matter - as mentioned before I had the problem burning to a DVD+RW using
>> growisofs (and I have enough experience with the media in question to
>> know that its stability wasn't the problem).  But burning to a DVD+R
>> with growisofs seemed to work ok (though it could just have been luck).
>> When F7 comes out I'll try growisofs with the DVD+R and cross my
>> fingers.  If that doesn't work I'll try finding a newer version of
>> cdrecord and see if that works.  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone
>> out there can currently burn DVDs using the version of cdrecord in
>> either FC6 or F7t4, and whether or not it spews error messages.
>>

> Yes, I've burned many DVDs under FC6.  I use K3B, and have no problem at all.
>
> Anne

  But what about command-line cdrecord?  K3B and other graphical tools
all probably choose automatically between cdrecord and growisofs, and
I'm guessing that with DVDs they always use growisofs.