Extra consoles at install CD boot?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed May 9 18:44:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 04:40:58PM +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> When booting the install CD/DVD for FC6, are there extra consoles that I
> can switch to and enter commands in? This would have to be at the very
> first user entry point in the install; where you select language.
>
> (I can press Alt-F2 to get a blank screen, but pressing Enter doesn't
> activate it. Alt-F3 and Alt-F4 contains output from the boot process.)

Eventually, the Alt-F2 console will get a Bash shell, and you can then
use it as you would any other shell. Sorry, but I don't recall the
point at which it gets the shell.

> I would like to try the procedure in this bug report to see if if solves
> my problem with getting the boot media to accept itself:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/24022

This is reported as a bug for Breezy Badger, Ubuntu release
5.10. Would it even apply to FC6? The last message indicates that it
was fixed in the kernel for Dapper Drake, so I suspect that fix should
be in FC6. The kernel in FC6 is 2.6.18.

In any case, you should have a shell in time to try that procedure.