fc7 test4 to F7 General Availability.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:30:11 UTC 2007

On 5/9/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> gary artim wrote:
>
> > does this mean I could use the fc7-ga dvd to upgrade. sounds like
> > you are talking about changing the yum repo's to allow for the update,
> > am I correct?
> >

> Yes. That's correct.
>
> > will report any issues!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rahul

I don't want to put cold water on Rahul's recommendation; however, you
should reconsider going this route. Although both are rpm based
distributions there a few differences between SuSE/openSUSE and Fedora
which cause headaches in the upgrade process.

You will have to manually remove the SUSE configuration tools (YAST,
SAX, etc.) and any other SUSE specific applications/utilities that are
no longer useful or applicable. Those may not be a major problem.
Package selection and implementation differences may. For example:
SUSE uses Sun's java. Fedora uses JPackage.org's. SUSE does not use
SELinux. Fedora does. Etc. Etc.

I highly recommend that you backup any user files that you want to
save and perform a fresh installation. It will save you time and
effort.