gaming notebook recommendations?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu May 10 22:39:52 UTC 2007

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Jim van Wel writes:
>
>> about this, but don't know where anymore. But if you want a good laptop,
>> with a good video card, stick with Nvidia. It's really good supported
>> with
>> the
>> proprietary driver.
>
> … today. What's going to happen tomorrow, is anyone's guess. In case
> you're not aware of it, Nvidia's current binary blob does not support
> some of their older hardware. Whenever Nvidia decides that you should
> buy their new hardware, they'll just stop supporting your model. They
> have done it before, they'll do it again. Then, the next time there is
> a significantly-enough kernel ABI chance that their shim stub can't
> deal with, you're boned.
>
> When that happens, and you (not you specifically, just saying this in
> general) come shedding tears, it won't be easy for me to feel any
> sympathy for you.

Personally, I'm really pleased with my Alienware Aurora box. I use it
mostly for games, but I do have FC6 on it and it runs really well. I
don't do 3D accel in Fedora, since I don't really need it for that, so
I'm just fine with the OSS nvidia drivers. Granted I bought the Aurora
just before Dell bought Alienware, so I can't say if anything has
changed, and since I pretty much despise Dell, I doubt I'll buy another
one.

--
Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator