vlc audio issues

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri May 11 10:26:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 16:04 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 08:39 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> > I use VLC (vlc-0.8.4a-1.lvn5) as my main video player on FC5. I've had
> > lots of issues with the audio. If I play a video and try to jump
> > ahead, most time the the audio gets choppy, like static. I can reset
> > it by disabling and re-enabling the audio, but that's a pain.
>
> I've seen similar things with *some* files with any player that I use
> (sound suddenly goes all noisy and crappy if you did anything, even
> adjust the volume).  I've always suspected it was the particular files
> being badly created more than the player.

In my case it's only a problem with vlc. If I open the same files vlc
has problems with in another player, like xine or mplayer, I do not have
the same problem.

> "AVI" isn't really a file type, you'd need to find out what encoding is
> being used in those AVI containers, for someone to say if they suffer
> the same problem.  At best, being "AVI" only suggests that you've got
> some sort of audio/video file.

True, I was being to general. The file in my example is divx encoded.

I did try updating vlc at one time but didn't like the newer version for
a reason I don't remember. Maybe I'll try updating to see if the audio
issues are still present.

Thanks,
James