RPM Repositories

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri May 11 18:14:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:33:53AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> >    Dear friends,
> >
> > What RPM repositories can you recommend? Which can be access via
> >yum? Which are worth putting in the yum config file, and how?
> >
> > Software I might need includes: Scientific computing, software
> >development, Java, Eclipse, web design, openoffice, VPN.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> >    Take care
> >    Oliver
> >

> Your needs are similar to mine.
>
> I have to agree with Axel's comments.  Most of the software you need is
> available in core/extras.  There are some other items that are only on a
> specific repo so it would depend on the application you want to use/try.
>
> As I am constantly looking for software, I like using Yumex as it allows
> me to search for application by keyword in a GUI.  I have just changed
> from gnome to KDE and I have yet to really try kyum but it looks like it
> will do the same as yumex.

BTW if you want to search for software that may not be part of Fedora
and may even not be part of any Fedora 3rd party repo, e.g. only found
in Suse/Mandriva etc. there is an excellent service at rpm.pbone.net.

If you are lucky you will be pointed to the repo that has your desired
software, if you have less luck you get a pointer to a suse/mandriva
package that you can use to create your own package. And in the worst
case you will find no packaging at all, and then you should ask
yourself what kind of software that is. ;)

(either obsolete or proprietary)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net