OT: hardware problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun May 13 08:40:45 UTC 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007, John wrote:
>   Well I can say for sure now, using linux (or at least FC) has left a
> really bad taste in my mouth... I'd rather go back to Windows 100% and
> deal with its security problems than have to *waste *my time
> troubleshooting my FC builds. Two outta three FC boxes (here) have
> 'misplaced' the floppy and cd drives. I know the cd drive was working
> when I switched over to KDE from Gnome; now its MIA with KDE too. This
> box, can't even find my scanner-- jeez, I can go to the HP site and get
> the scanner software for Win95 to Vista.
>   How screwed up is Fedora 7 going to be??

While 'linux is linux', distros do vary quite a bit, and some distros are
better than others with particular hardware.  Before giving up, try out some
live CDs if you can get hold of them - many are available for download.  In
particular, I'd think that either ubuntu or mandriva may suit you better than
fedora.  Hope that helps

Anne