Synaptics Touch Pad

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sun May 13 12:25:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 10:08 +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> John Bowden wrote:
> > 	I.m trying to install FC6 onto my new HP510 note book and have run into
> > a few problems. I will post them as seperate posts as I don't think they
> > are related. I can't get the Synaptics touch pad to work at all. I'm a
> > KDE user so I'm having to carry around a usb mouse. On my other FC6 box
> > I have a "hardware" program in the "administration" section of the
> > kmenu, which seems to be missing. When I shut the note book down I get a
> > error message / backtrace from the Synaptics program crashing. This is
> > the message:
> *snip*
> > I had a look into my xorg.conf file and there is an input section for
> > the keyboard but non for a mouse. Here is my xorg.conf file:
>
> Try adding an input device section manually. Do backup your existing
> xorg.conf before you do so. Below is the input device section from my
> xorg.conf.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>          Identifier  "Synaptics"
>          Driver      "synaptics"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
>          Option      "SHMConfig" "true"
> EndSection
>

> --
> Regards
> विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)
>
> Registered Linux User #374218
> Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
> Linux 2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6 X86_64

I tried copy and pasting the above input section, but still no joy.
touch pad is none responsive and I'm still getting an error when I shut
down the note book. I will write it down next time. The backtrace
message is still the same.
When I got to the "control center" - "peripherals" and click on "touch
pad" I get this error message:

Shared Memory is not accessible.
Please add the option 'UseShm ''true''' into the touch pad section
of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

On clicking ok with the usb mouse, all the options in "touch pad" are
grayed out. It does tell me its using "libsynaptics 0.14.6a and there is
no driver installed.