amarok problem with xine

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:03:32 UTC 2007

On 13/05/07, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> but are stricly legal (or legalistic) sites
> not allowed to tell us where to find non-free RPMs?
> Would that be breaking the law?

Yes, it is called "contributory infringement", but IANAL.

> But how do you tell what non-free RPM to download?
> As I mentioned, I tried one but it turned out to be the wrong choice.

You solve the puzzle. ;) Amarok has a "xine" engine, which reported an
error, so you search for plugins or extensions to Xine. Another
release of Amarok might offer an alternative engine, e.g. GStreamer,
and its user would prefer using it with nonfree GStreamer plugins.

In general, it's a documentation problem. A few examples, and users
would understand what to install.