OT: hardware problems

John john at johnsdesign.net
Sun May 13 17:54:40 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 23:32 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>>>   How screwed up is Fedora 7 going to be??
>>>

>> As someone who's been running the Development tree since about the
>> F7-Test2 timeframe, I can vouch that it will be quite impressive.
>> Indeed, it will have its bugs, though, as any piece of software does;
>> but we as a community will continue to improve upon the software and
>> squash those bugs as we find them.
>>

> John, while a computer may be, for all practical purposes, infallible,
> humans statistically make mistakes 15% of the time. Life gets easier if
> you can see your way to making allowances for that. Especially if there
> is the remote chance that you have made some mistakes.
>
> HP Scanners, I have an HP PSC 1510 All-In-One. It's worked just fine
> until a week ago. Then it wouldn't scan and I got all aggravated. After
> re-booting, using smart to check all of my installed rpms and pouring
> over the docs with terminal windows opened all over the desktop, when I
> opened the lid and re-positioned the document, it lit up and scanned.
>
> Opening the damn lid to the scanner. Who would have thought? :) Ric

 Yeah, easy things like that make me glad I got into computers... :)
Side note about the scanner- I'm in a bit of a rush to get things
scanned. I started a (didn't know then) major project last Fall- an Aunt
holds about 3/4ths - 2/3rds of the family photos with the rest being
scattered around through the rest of us. The Aunt who holds the photos
turns 70 this year (also know like 95% of the photoed people); a Great
Aunt just turned 99 a few months ago. So... its /somewhat/ important
that my hardware plays nicely with an OS. Hopefully, that explains my
rant. :)

              John