going back to a previous kernel

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun May 13 21:26:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 13 May 2007 21:21, Scott Berry wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> How do you go back to a previous kernel?  I read something about grub on
> the dektop but I don't remember where that is.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott. You will find the grub config file, as root on the CLI,
at /boot/grub/grub.conf.

There are a couple of lines you can make changes to. One is named
"hiddenmenu" . Put a # at the start of the line, and when you boot up, Grubs
menu will be shown, showing you all available kernels. Also you can change
the "timeout" line. changing this from 5 to 30 will give you more time to
choose which kernel you want to boot.

If you are using Apt for getting updates to the system, apt-get update,
followed by apt-get dist-upgrade, all kernels will be saved to Grubs menu.

If you are using Yum, it only saves as default, the 2 latest kernels. You can
change this behaviour by editing /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf .
Just change the line "enabled=1" to "enabled=0" . This will disable the
plugin, and subsequent kernel updates will all be saved to Grubs config file,
and will show up on Grubs menu.

All the best.

Nigel.