udev won't rename eth1 in fc6

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun May 13 21:46:01 UTC 2007

sean wrote:

> I've got a remote machine that I'm upgrading from fc5 to fc6. I've done
> the upgrade, but 2.6.20 switches the order of the network cards. This is
> a real problem because the machine a long way away, and I administer it
> by ssh over the net.
>
> I was able to talk one of the admins how to make grub boot 2.6.17, so
> I'm able to connect.
>
> I've been playing with the internal interface to figure out how to
> create persistent names for the network cards. I wanted to create a
> symlink for the internet ( external ) interface so that if all goes
> wrong, I can again talk an admin into getting me back on.
>
> In any event, I did put my rule as 99. Same result. It seems that you
> can't create a symlink for an interface. I guess it's not part of the
> file metaphor, since it's a socket.
>
> So lets hope it works, or I'll be talking with an admin for hours tomorrow.
>
> sean

This is what the HWADDR= option in the ifcfg-eth? files is supposed
to provide. It should tie the interface name to the MAC address. (I
have not tested how well it works in practice.) You will probably
have to use this option for both NICs for it to work properly.

 The other thing that can help, if the NICs use different drivers,
is to alias the interface to the desired driver in /etc/modprobe.conf.

alias eth0 <some driver name>
alias eth1 <some other driver name>

Be sure to run depmod after making changed to modprobe.conf.

Mikkel