How do I pair a bluetooth device graphically from the GNOME desktop?

Rogue roguexz at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:58:49 UTC 2007

Mail List wrote:

> On Sunday 13 May 2007 08:20:12 pm Lux Zhang wrote:
>
>>> The idea is that I am trying to pair my bluetooth headset. In which
>>> case, I need to initiate the connection from the laptop. I am aware
>>> about the other way around. My point is, if there is a UI available for
>>> doing such pairing. I would like to know if it is possible to invoke it
>>> through the command line directly. I understand that there is no UI /
>>> application available right now for doing it. Just wondering why.
>>>

>    Not sure if this helps - but does
>       hidd --search
>    help or is that 'the wrong way round' from your needs.

Hi Guys,

I can scan for my bluetooth devices using "hcitool scan" .. Once I have
the device ID, I would like to pair it with my laptop; and ideal case
would be:

1. Search for bluetooth devices.
2. Initiate pairing from the system
3. Browse capabilities and then pair with the desired capabilities. In
this case, the bluetooth headset to act as my headset.
4. My applications start this device / capability.

Earlier there was the bluetooth manager application, but it had issues
and it was "resolved" by getting rid of it :-/

Now I am a pure Java boy who would love to build these applications, but
since I am having a tough time finding java-bindings for these
libraries, I am unable to proceed much. I have been trying to play
around with gluegen[1] to generate the java-bindings, but haven't had
much luck (also because of the fact that I have never written JNI, and I
have never really programmed in C).

Off topic question: If I decide to build a native application, what
would the basic tools be, i.e., IDE / language choice. Please note, when
I a ask for IDEs, I am basically looking at an IDE that will do things
all the way, like provide me with a project stub capable of building an
rpm out of the compiled code.

thanks,
Rogue

[1] - https://gluegen.dev.java.net