going back to a previous kernel

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon May 14 17:27:08 UTC 2007

On Monday 14 May 2007 04:30, Scott Berry wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> Two more questions for you.
>
> 1.  How would one add repositories to apt?  I have quite a few I would like
> to add.

These are the 2 that I have in /etc/apt/sources.list in FC6.

# Add any local / 3rd party repositories here..

rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/6/i386 freshrpms

rpm http://macromedia.mplug.org/ rpm macromedia

They are set out differently to the ones for the Fedora repositories, as the
Fedora repositories are using a later version of Apt, which uses repo
metadata, so you see an entry like this for the Fedora repo's.

# Fedora Core
repomd http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/
fedora/linux/core/$(VERSION)/$(ARCH)/os/

Basically though, if you go to the site of a third part repo, there are
instructions there for adding the repo to your apt sources.list. Sometimes
you might have to add the necessary line to /etc/apt/sources.list manually,
on other sites you can just click on a link, and the repo will be added to
your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Either way you also need to download and import the GPG keys for the
repositories, so that the packages you want to download can be verified.

I normally create a directory named "keys" in my /home/user directory, and
download them to that location. Then cd to the keys directory on the CLI, su
to root, and run. rpm --import <keyname>.

You need to be a bit carefull about having too many third party repositories
enabled when doing an apt-get update. You can get some nasty package
conflicts when subsequently doing an apt-get dist-upgrade.

> 2.  How do I exclude kernels from being updated?

Not sure about this using Apt, as I always let the kernel updates go ahead.
But I can see the kernels on the Grub menu, and you can't. No text to speech
at this stage. I'll post the question to Panu at
apt-rpm at lists.laiskiainen.org

Perhaps he will have a suggestion.

Nigel.

Btw. I apologise if you don't understand some of what I've said. I'm sighted,
but find it difficult explaining something that I can see, to someone who is
blind. Perhaps I should just speak to you, just like I would with a sighted
person, perhaps leaving out the GUI stuff.