udev won't rename eth1 in fc6

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 21:10:23 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> This is what the HWADDR= option in the ifcfg-eth? files is supposed
> to provide. It should tie the interface name to the MAC address. (I
> have not tested how well it works in practice.) You will probably
> have to use this option for both NICs for it to work properly.

I'd tried that. HWADDR only checks to make sure the addr and
the socket match up. So when I booted 2.6.20, eth0 wouldn't
start because the HWADDR was wrong.

>  The other thing that can help, if the NICs use different drivers,
> is to alias the interface to the desired driver in /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> alias eth0 <some driver name>
> alias eth1 <some other driver name>
>
> Be sure to run depmod after making changed to modprobe.conf.
>
> Mikkel

modprobe.conf was set up as you suggested. Indeed, that
what's kept these drivers straight over time. But it now
appears that the kernel assigns NIC names without looking at
  modprobe.conf.

In any event, I bit the bullet and set up both nic's under
udev and it worked. No long talk with the remote office.

Thanks for your help. I'd never have thought of the
last_rule option.

sean