Synaptics Touch Pad

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Mon May 14 19:29:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 04:42 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007, John Bowden wrote:

> >> *snip*
> >>
> >> Try adding an input device section manually. Do backup your existing
> >> xorg.conf before you do so. Below is the input device section from my
> >> xorg.conf.
> >>
> >> Section "InputDevice"
> >>          Identifier  "Synaptics"
> >>          Driver      "synaptics"
> >>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> >>          Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> >>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> >>          Option      "SHMConfig" "true"
> >> EndSection
> >
> > I tried copy and pasting the above input section, but still no joy.
> > touch pad is none responsive and I'm still getting an error when I shut
> > down the note book. I will write it down next time. The backtrace
> > message is still the same.
> > When I got to the "control center" - "peripherals" and click on "touch
> > pad" I get this error message:
> >
> > Shared Memory is not accessible.
> > Please add the option 'UseShm ''true''' into the touch pad section
> > of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> > On clicking ok with the usb mouse, all the options in "touch pad" are
> > grayed out. It does tell me its using "libsynaptics 0.14.6a and there is
> > no driver installed.
>
> After updating xorg.conf, did you restart X (log out and back in)?
Yep did a reboot, (old windoz habits die hard), also to make sure
touchpad was not asleep. The first time X crashed and refused to start
and I had to reconfigure, which rewrites the xorg.conf file.

> The reference to "UseShm" is really about the "SHMConfig" option in the
> InputDevice section above.
>
> FWIW, my input section is ideintical to the above, except my SHMConfig
> option is set to "on".
Tried "on" still no touchpad, but at least x did not crash.

> Also, do you have the synaptics RPM installed?  You might also try
> installing gsynaptics (for GNOME) or ksynaptics (for KDE), which provides
> a GUI touchpad configurator.
Down loaded all the "synaptics" stuff with kyum after doing a search for
any files that had synaptics in it. I have the ksynaptics applet
running, grayed out in the system tray.

> --
>  		Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

After also failing to get my wireless chip working, I realized then that
I had no livna repo set up and went and down loaded its repo setup rpm.
Unfortunately it does not seem to have worked as kyum can't find a base
url for livna. I will check the livna repo settings on my fc6 tower box
when I get home as I have not had any problems with kyum doing my
updates on that box, ("touch wood")